Crystal Hills Blog
Now that the cooler temperatures have arrived it is time for a nice, warm bowl of soup! Here is a recipe for a potage, which is a thick and creamy soup that will leave you feeling satisfied. Creamy pumpkin with a hint of garlic and herbs, plus it is vegan and gluten free.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked sugar pumpkin, mashed
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup coconut cream*
- 3 cloves garlic, roasted at 350F for 10 minutes
- fresh thyme and rosemary infused in oil**
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons coconut or avocado oil
- parsley, for garnish
- Cook sugar pumpkin: cut it in half then lay the cut side down in a pan, with a bit of water for 30-45 minutes at 375F.
- Once pumpkin is cooked, gather 1 1/2 cups and put in a food processor/powerful blender with vegetable broth, coconut cream roasted garlic, and infused oil**.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with parsley. Serve.
*You can purchase coconut cream at your natural foods store or you can use coconut cream from a can of full fat coconut milk. Refrigerate a coconut milk can for at least 6 hours (prevent from shaking the can) then pour out the coconut water (you can save it for a smoothie or drink as is) and use the remaining coconut cream, it should be fairly solidified.
**Infused oil: pour 2 tablespoons oil into a sauce pan, add fresh herbs and stir in oil on medium heat for 5 minutes, drain oil and compost herbs. The essential oils from the herbs will infuse the oil and give the potage an abundance of flavour.