Crystal Hills Blog
With spring comes fresh local asparagus and I couldn’t be more excited! Local asparagus is far superior in taste and is an excellent source of folate, fiber, vitamins A, C, E and K, as well as several minerals. A few facts about asparagus:
• alkaline food which is relatively low in calories and carbohydrates (only has 22 calories for 100g).
• fresh spears provide an excellent source of antioxidants such as zeaxanthin, carotenes, lutein and cryptoxanthins.
• a rich source of the amino acid called asparagine, that plays a role in the process of removing waste from the body.
• a very good source of minerals especially iron, potassium, manganese, and copper.
This salad is filled with probiotic rich foods like miso, and sauerkraut. There are several different types of miso, but I used the white kind which has a light flavour and not overpowering for dressings. Sauerkraut is a great addition to any meal and an excellent digestive aid. If sauerkraut is not to your liking, I suggest taking a probiotic daily. Read here to educate yourself on which probiotic is best suited for you.
Roasted Asparagus and Quinoa Salad with Miso Ginger Dressing
1 cup cooked quinoa
4 cups mixed greens
2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
handful of asparagus spears, chopped (discard woody ends)
1 tablespoon avocado oil
1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt
1/2 cup Sauerkraut
1 tablespoon white miso
1 teaspoon tamari
1 teaspoon hemp or flax oil
1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
1/2 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
3 tablespoons filtered water (or more depending on how thin you like the consistency)
1. Set oven to 400F. Chop asparagus spears and coat with avocado oil and salt. Bake for 15 minutes. Let cool.
2. Cook quinoa according to the package.
3. Meanwhile, mix dressing ingredients together.
4. Combine mixed greens, pumpkin seeds, asparagus, cooked quinoa, and dressing.
5. Serve with a side of sauerkraut.
Click to download and save or print for your recipe box: Roasted Asparagus and Quinoa Salad with Miso Ginger Dressing